Every fall, a local club puts on a huge Halloween bash.
My friends and I dress up in costume, pay the huge cover charge and always have a blast.
The club gets so many people that they need to open up the doors to the outside patio area. In my local area, the weather at the end of October is often chilly. We can expect anything from rain to snow, and it’s no surprise if the temperature drops below freezing. With the doors wide open, the club shuts off the central heat. Although they have a few overhead space heaters inside and some heat lamps outside, I just about freeze to death. Since I want to look cute, my costumes don’t keep me warm. This past year, I decided to give up on my appearance and be comfortable. I chose a full bear costume. I was basically wearing a fur onesie. Unfortunately for me, we were blessed with an unexpected heatwave. The temperature that evening was in the mid seventies. With so many people crammed into the club, it was extremely overheated. The open doors and windows just welcomed in the heat and humidity. There was no breeze whatsoever. I tried hanging out both inside and outside, but it didn’t make any difference. Only air conditioning could have helped me. I was drenched with sweat within minutes. To make up for it, I kept drinking cold beer. This just necessitated multiple trips to the bathroom, and the bear costume was very difficult to remove. I had a miserable evening and couldn’t wait to leave.