Our HVAC corporation came out to the apartment to service our gas furnace.
The business came to the apartment and headed right into the basement.
He had the gas furnace repaired, but he wasn’t yet out of the basement, when both of us heard a yelp and then silence. My hubby went downstairs to see the HVAC tech laid out on the floor of the basement, with blood gushing from his head. We called an ambulance and then called the HVAC dealer. We let them think the HVAC business had stood up and hit his head on the ceiling beam. He hit strenuous enough to not just put a sizable gash in the back of his head, but to knock himself out. The HVAC corporation sent another business out to make sure the gas furnace service was completed, while both of us waited for the ambulance. We cautioned the ambulance techs that the basement roof was low and they had to be careful, because that is what happened to the HVAC tech. They carefully got him up the steps and onto the gurney so they could take him to the hospital. The new business told us the gas furnace was fine, and he offered to disinfect up the blood in the basement. In the meantime, the HVAC corporation owner showed up and told us they would have a HazMat team disinfect the floor and take care of the blood. I asked if I should contact our homeowner’s insurance and see if they would cover the cost? He told us it wasn’t our fault, and the corporation would cover all costs for disinfect up and the injuries. They weren’t even charging us for the gas furnace inspection.