The flame sensor was covered with debris and dust

My wife and I were experiencing some trouble with our furnace.

It wasn’t quite winter yet, so we decided to address the issue.

Sometimes the furnace would light properly and other times we had trouble. I wanted to fix the problem on my own, but I was extremely busy with work and activities. I tried to take care of the problem on the weekend, but I ran out of time and did not find the problem with the furnace. My wife called a repair company that following day and she made an appointment to have a repair technician review our system components. I was at work during the repair, but my wife watched the repair technician work on the furnace. The flame sensor was covered with debris and dust. Sometimes it senses a flame and sometimes it does not. This was the reason for the intermittent heating problems in our home. The small part needed to be cleaned and serviced. The repair technician used a special tool to clean the flame sensor. My wife watched the repair technician very carefully, so we can repeat the process in the future without calling the heating company. We received a small bill from the heating company. I was extremely happy that we didn’t have to replace the furnace. I spent most of my time at work worried that I would come home to a large bill and a brand new furnace. Times are tough right now and the last thing that my wife and I need is a large expense on heating or cooling equipment.

 

Official Homepage